Gaza: ‘People Losing Hope’ as Aid Access to North Remains Blocked, Warns UNRWA

UN Official Warns of Deteriorating Humanitarian Crisis in Gaza Amid Looming Famine

Reporting from central Gaza, Louise Wateridge, a senior emergency officer with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), sounded the alarm about the dire conditions in the Gaza Strip. As winter approaches, hundreds of thousands of people forcibly displaced by the ongoing conflict are living in makeshift shelters, sleeping on the floor amidst unsanitary conditions, including raw sewage.

“We are deeply concerned about what will happen to 500,000 people living in flood-prone areas as the rains begin,” Wateridge said during a press briefing in Geneva.

The humanitarian situation in Gaza is further exacerbated by critically low levels of aid entering the war-torn enclave. According to Ms. Wateridge, the volume of supplies has reached its lowest point in months, with just 37 trucks of aid entering Gaza daily in October—a fraction of what was permitted before the conflict. This amounts to merely six percent of the previous commercial and humanitarian supply levels for the 2.2 million residents.

US Aid Deadline Passes Without Progress

When asked about the U.S.-imposed deadline for Israel to improve Gaza’s aid conditions by November 12, Wateridge confirmed that the situation has only worsened. Aid deliveries have decreased despite international calls for increased access.

In northern Gaza, where the UN has been denied entry, the desperation is palpable. “People are begging for scraps of bread and water,” Wateridge revealed, adding that 80 percent of Gaza’s population—about 1.7 million people—did not receive food rations in October. The situation is so critical that last Friday, the UN-partnered Integrated Phase Classification (IPC) Famine Review Committee issued an urgent alert warning of imminent famine in northern Gaza.

As the suffering intensifies, Wateridge warned, “People are losing hope.” Despite planned humanitarian missions to northern Gaza this week, Wateridge and her colleagues were blocked from delivering supplies such as chlorine tablets or assessing shelter conditions. For over a month, no UNRWA staff has been able to access these besieged areas.

Hospitals on the Brink: “Every Hour Counts”

Wateridge described harrowing accounts from UN colleagues and medical workers in the north, painting a stark picture of the deteriorating situation. Hospitals have run out of blood supplies and essential medicines, while ambulances are no longer operational. Bodies lie in the streets as people resort to using donkey carts to reach medical facilities.

“Colleagues are trapped in residential buildings, unable to leave. The eight water wells in Jabalia managed by UNRWA have also stopped functioning, leaving residents without clean drinking water,” she said.

The situation is becoming increasingly urgent, with Wateridge stressing the necessity of gaining access to the besieged northern areas. “Every hour matters now,” she pleaded, reiterating UNRWA’s call to Israeli authorities for immediate entry to provide critical aid.

Ceasefire: The Only Path to Relief

The conflict’s broader consequences are also escalating. Late last month, the Israeli Parliament voted to ban UNRWA operations within the country, including prohibiting any contact with its officials. The legislation will take effect in 90 days, further complicating efforts to alleviate suffering in Gaza.

Addressing both sides of the conflict, Wateridge called for an immediate ceasefire. “Our message to Hamas and the Israeli forces is clear: there needs to be a ceasefire,” she said. While condemning the “horrific attacks” by Hamas on Israeli civilians on October 7, she emphasized that ongoing civilian suffering on both sides must stop.

“We’ve witnessed unimaginable suffering—Israeli civilians subjected to terror on October 7, followed by the devastating impact on civilians in Gaza. A ceasefire, the release and safe return of all hostages, and respite for all affected civilians in Gaza and the wider region are urgently needed,” she concluded.


Comments

4 responses to “Gaza: ‘People Losing Hope’ as Aid Access to North Remains Blocked, Warns UNRWA”

  1. Oh, fantastic, just what we need—another “urgent” UN report from a cozy Geneva office while folks in Gaza are dodging bullets and seeking shelter from the rain. Remind me again, are we waiting for a miracle or just more paperwork? 🙄📄

  2. Mr. Thanksgiving Avatar
    Mr. Thanksgiving

    Oh, brilliant! Just when you thought the humanitarian crisis couldn’t get any more “exciting,” we find that the aid trucks are playing a game of hide and seek in Gaza. Who knew “hope” was the latest lost cause? 😂

  3. Little General Avatar
    Little General

    Oh joy, another announcement about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza—because obviously, the UN has all the time in the world to sound alarms while aid trickles in slower than a snail on holiday. 🐌💼 Who knew saving lives could be such a bureaucratic tango?

  4. fuzzy logic hottie Avatar
    fuzzy logic hottie

    Oh, splendid! Just as winter’s chill sets in, we’ve got a humanitarian crisis in Gaza that makes a snowstorm look like a picnic. Who knew that blocking aid could turn into a global sport? Bravo, world leaders! 👏

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Last News

High Fens Fire Sparks Concerns Over Firefighter Staffing and Training in Belgium

High Fens Fire Sparks Concerns Over Firefighter Staffing and Training in Belgium

High Fens, Belgium, 19 August (Eurotoday Newspaper) The fire in Belgium’s High Fens has put a difficult question back on the agenda: are there enough Belgium wildfire crews, and are firefighters receiving the specialist training needed when flames spread through forests, heathland and peat?
It is a question that goes beyond the number of fire engines sent to one incident. Wildfires can keep crew

Read More

French MEP Raphaël Glucksmann prepares for presidential campaign announcement

French MEP Raphaël Glucksmann prepares for presidential campaign announcement

Several prominent Socialists, such as former President François Hollande and former Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, have suggested they might skip their party’s primary and run for president as independents.
However, polls indicate that Glucksmann, the head of his own small political group Place Publique, is the leading candidate on the center left, especially after bringing the Socialists

Read More

Norah Returns to Belgium with First Store in Hasselt and 20-Store Flemish Plan

Norah Returns to Belgium with First Store in Hasselt and 20-Store Flemish Plan

Dutch fashion brand Norah returns to Belgium and opens first store in Hasselt, marking the start of a planned 20–25‑store Flemish network after a strategic 2026 withdrawal. The retailer will open its new shop at Koning Albertstraat 60 in April 2027, with the Belgian head office located above the store, signaling a long‑term commitment rather than a one‑off expansion.
What exactly is Norah planni

Read More

Shlosberg Imprisoned as Yabloko Excluded from Election

Shlosberg Imprisoned as Yabloko Excluded from Election

A Russian court has sentenced opposition figure Lev Shlosberg to over 11 years in prison, while the Supreme Court confirmed the exclusion of his Yabloko party from upcoming parliamentary elections. These decisions diminish the space for peaceful opposition to the Ukraine war and eliminate the only registered party advocating for a ceasefire.
Shlosberg, 63, received an 11-year and one-month penal

Read More

Netherlands Criticizes US Sanctions on Leading ICC Officials

Netherlands Criticizes US Sanctions on Leading ICC Officials

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio accused the court of threatening American sovereignty, stating that the administration was acting to protect its citizens from a “sham” institution and would never permit Americans to be “transported beyond seas to be tried for pretend offenses.”
Tuesday’s sanctions are part of a campaign launched by Washington last month to undermi

Read More

Meta Youth Safety Trial Subjects Facebook and Instagram to Major Legal Scrutiny in California

Meta Youth Safety Trial Subjects Facebook and Instagram to Major Legal Scrutiny in California

Oakland, California, 18 August (Eurotoday Newspaper) Meta is facing one of the most consequential legal challenges yet to Facebook and Instagram after US states opened a federal case alleging the company built features that kept children hooked on its platforms while playing down risks to younger users. The Meta youth safety trial began with opening statements in Oakland on Tuesday.
The case bri

Read More

Social Contagion: The Spread of Behaviors

Social Contagion: The Spread of Behaviors

Scientific findings suggest that behaviors like obesity, suicide, violence, self-harm, and collective actions can be influenced by those around us. However, “social contagion” doesn’t imply a simple transmission from one person to another. Behaviors may spread like diseases, where one individual starts and others follow. This can occur in various settings, amplified by social me

Read More

Snakes on a Campaign Trail: When Animals Attack Politicians

Snakes on a Campaign Trail: When Animals Attack Politicians

Sandro Garibaldi, a regional council member in Liguria for the League, was bitten on the hand by a wolf earlier this year. Garibaldi had interrupted the wolf while it was attacking some sheep. It is unclear if this wolf was the same one that killed European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s pet pony, Dolly.
A flock of Lories, arboreal parrots, made friends with German Chancellor Angela M

Read More

Why 29 U.S. States United Against Meta Over Youth Social Media Harms, Oakland

Why 29 U.S. States United Against Meta Over Youth Social Media Harms, Oakland

Oakland, California, 18 August (Brussles Morning Newspaper) Twenty-nine US states have taken Meta to court in one of the biggest legal tests yet of how social media companies treat children, after years of trying to keep their case together. The Meta youth safety trial centres on allegations that the Facebook and Instagram owner misled families about risks to young users and unlawfully collected

Read More

UAE–Iran: Abu Dhabi Takes a Firm Stand

UAE–Iran: Abu Dhabi Takes a Firm Stand

The United Arab Emirates has adopted a tougher stance towards Iran after detecting two ballistic missiles launched from Iranian territory. Abu Dhabi has announced a suspension of all trade exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. This decision highlights the UAE’s commitment to protect its sovereignty while leveraging its regional and international influence.
An

Read More