UN Officials Condemn Deadly Israeli Strike on Gaza Aid Workers, Demand Independent Investigation
A deadly attack on humanitarian workers in Gaza has prompted widespread condemnation and urgent calls for accountability and investigation by senior United Nations officials.
“This is a huge blow to us… These people were shot,” said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), referencing what appears to be a deliberate assault by Israeli forces on clearly marked aid teams.
UN Human Rights Chief Volker Türk strongly condemned the killings in a statement issued Monday, urging an independent, prompt, and thorough investigation into what he described as “apparent systematic targeting” of humanitarian personnel.
Footage from OCHA showed a grim scene near Tal-As-Sultan in Rafah: a UN vehicle, ambulances, and a fire truck all crushed and buried in sand, allegedly by Israeli military vehicles. “Normally we are not at a loss for words—but this is one of those moments,” Laerke told journalists in Geneva.
Humanitarian Convoy Targeted
On 23 March, teams from the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS), Palestinian Civil Defence (PCD), and the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) had been dispatched to rescue injured civilians in the Rafah area. OCHA reports that these clearly identified humanitarian workers came under fire from advancing Israeli forces.
According to Jonathan Whittall, OCHA’s top official in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, five ambulances, a fire truck, and a UN vehicle were all hit by Israeli fire. Contact was lost with several teams soon after. One survivor reported that both members of his ambulance crew were killed.
OCHA made repeated attempts to reach the site, finally gaining access five days later. Teams recovered a firefighter’s body buried beneath his own destroyed vehicle.
Mass Grave Uncovered
The week-long operation concluded on 30 March with the grim discovery of 15 bodies: eight PRCS staff members, six from the PCD, and one UNRWA staffer. One PRCS worker remains missing, according to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), which continues to press the Israeli military for information.
OCHA stated that the initial team was likely killed on 23 March. Subsequent aid workers were caught in further strikes while attempting to locate their colleagues. The bodies were found next to wrecked emergency vehicles.
“This raises serious questions about the conduct of the Israeli army during and after the incident,” said Human Rights Commissioner Türk, demanding that the missing aid worker’s fate be urgently clarified.
Worsening Humanitarian Toll
UN Humanitarian Chief Tom Fletcher added his voice on Monday, demanding “answers and justice” for those killed, and reiterating the urgent need for access to Gaza.
According to UNRWA, 408 aid workers—including over 280 of its own staff—have been killed in Gaza since the war began on 7 October 2023.
Witnesses and video evidence from OCHA revealed additional horrors. In one clip, a woman was shot in the back of the head while fleeing sniper fire; a young man who attempted to rescue her was also shot. UN teams retrieved her remains inside a UN-marked vehicle.
Despite repeated demands, no explanations have been received from Israeli authorities, Laerke noted. “We are engaging daily, not just on this tragic incident but on the broader humanitarian crisis that only worsens with each passing day.”
Warning of Atrocity Crimes
The latest development comes just days after UN agencies warned that the situation in Gaza shows signs of atrocity crimes. UN officials say civilians have been killed in their homes, hospitals have been attacked, and emergency workers deliberately targeted.
James Elder, spokesperson for UNICEF, decried the “unprecedented breaches” of international humanitarian law. Since the collapse of a temporary ceasefire between Israel and Hamas on 18 March, he said, at least 100 children have been killed or injured each day.
“Willpower is not enough when international humanitarian law is breached over and over,” Elder said. Gaza’s borders have been closed to commercial and humanitarian aid for nearly a month, compounding the suffering.
Hospitals on the Brink
Francesco Della Longa, spokesperson for IFRC, warned that Gaza’s hospitals are overwhelmed and rapidly depleting medical supplies. More than half of Palestine Red Crescent ambulance crews are now out of service due to fuel shortages or direct damage from attacks.
Aid agencies continue to plead for safe access and accountability. As Laerke concluded, “This tragedy affects us deeply—but still, the humanitarian crisis goes on, worsening every day.”
Leave a Reply