
Ghent (Eurotoday): Ghent police will install temporary cameras at five locations from December 27 to January 2 to deter fireworks vandalism, following 24 arrests last New Year’s Eve, as concerns rise.
In Ghent, the police will set up temporary cameras at five locations from December 27 to January 2 to monitor the area and address issues with fireworks vandalism, which has been a problem during the end-of-year celebrations. Last year, a car was burned, and several bus shelters were damaged, leading to 24 arrests on New Year’s Eve to prevent further trouble. Police chief Filip Rasschaert expressed concerns about potential vandalism, violence, and harassment of emergency services, and he has called for stricter rules on fireworks sales.
Will Ghent’s temporary cameras effectively deter fireworks vandalism after 24 arrests?
Cameras will be installed in areas where problems have occurred in the past to help identify offenders. They can zoom in on faces and license plates, and those could face fines of up to 350 euros or legal action. The cameras will be placed in Bloemekenswik, Ledeberg, and Meulestede, with a new one on Tolhuislaan. A nuisance camera in Rabot will stay until January 15, but there won’t be a camera in Nieuw Gent this year.
The city needs to approve the police’s request for cameras, but that’s just a formality. In Ghent, fireworks are banned from October to January, except for New Year’s Eve from midnight to 1 a.m. with permission. Bombs and wish balloons are always banned. Some people still use fireworks, so Ghent made a film to show the dangers and held training for 350 young people. They also visited 13 homes to warn past offenders.
Comments
4 responses to “Ghent Police Deploy Cameras to Tackle Fireworks Vandalism Following 24 Arrests”
-
Ah, the Ghent Police have wisely turned to the wonders of modern technology to combat the age-old tradition of fireworks vandalism—because nothing says “We trust you” quite like a camera in your face while you’re trying to enjoy a bit of mischief. Perhaps next, they’ll consider deploying a time machine to send those 24 arrested back to the moment they thought it was a brilliant idea to turn the night sky into a mini war zone—what a proper waste of a good evening!
-
Ah, the Ghent Police have finally cracked the case of the rogue firework enthusiasts with their state-of-the-art spy cameras — because clearly, nothing says “we trust our citizens” quite like a good old-fashioned surveillance state. Let’s just hope the fireworks show doesn’t turn into an episode of “Cops: Belgian Edition”! With 24 arrests already under their belt, it seems the only thing bursting around here is their sense of humor.
-
Ah, the Ghent Police – deploying cameras to tackle fireworks vandalism because who needs a good old-fashioned chat about civility when you can just throw up a few lenses? Clearly, nothing says “Happy New Year” quite like being surveilled while you bombard your neighbors with aerial pyrotechnics. But hey, at least they’re catching more than the usual “pint of lager” crowd, right?
-
Well, it seems the Ghent Police have finally decided that a few strategically placed cameras will solve the age-old dilemma of unruly fireworks enthusiasts—because who needs a good chat over a pint about respect for public property when you can just watch them on a screen, right? With 24 arrests already in the bag, one can only assume the fireworks display is now officially a spectator sport—grab your popcorn, folks!
Last News
Ein Rundgang mit Sven Schulze
Im Endspurt des Wahlkampfs konzentriert
EU Condemns “Hatred and Intolerance”
The EU has spoken out in support of “all those who have suffered under totalitarian and authoritarian regimes.”
This comes on the eve of the Europe-wide Day of Remembrance of the victims of all totalitarian and authoritarian regimes on 23 August.
Ahead of the Day, senior EU political figures have issued a strongly-worded statement against “hatred, intolerance and the denial of human dignity.
The
Survey: Age and Wealth Increase Affinity for AI
Among those across all ages who conside
WW1’s First Battle of Mons Commemorated
Special events will take place this weekend to mark the anniversary of the First Battle of Mons on 23 August, the first major action of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in World War I.
Commemorations,which take place on Monday 24 August, start at 1pm at the Hôtel de Ville in Mons.
Representatives of RBL Brussels branch will also lay a wreath at the town’s British Empire Memorial which was f
Croatia Investigates Coordinated Zadar Fires
Four suspects detained after blazes were allegedly started across ten locations
Croatian police have detained four individuals suspected of intentionally igniting fires at ten sites in Zadar County, prompting urgent public safety concerns as prosecutors deliberate on charges. The fires were reportedly coordinated, though final legal classification is pending.
Fires reported across Zadar County
T
France Addresses Defective Condom Issue
The items were deemed “likely to pose serious risks to the health and safety of users,” such as unwanted pregnancies and STIs, according to France’s consumer-fraud watchdog, the DGCCRF, and
Key Court Date Approaches in Detained Albanian Mayor’s Long-Running Saga
Erion Veliaj has remained nominally in office as mayor of Tirana despite being held in what is known as pre-trial detention (PTD) since February 2025.
He is accused of corruption and money laundering but strongly denies any wrong doing.
The latest in a protracte
France Increases Channel Interceptions Amid Rights Concerns
French police are employing more forceful methods to prevent small boats from leaving for the UK, with new data showing a significant drop in Channel crossings. Video released on 21 August shows office
"Shameful": Israel Faces Global Criticism After Halting Gaza Aid Strike Investigation
Sint-Niklaas Summer Schools Celebrate 20 Years, Introduce Kindergarten Track
Sint-Niklaas (Eurotoday Newspaper) – Sint-Niklaas’ municipal summer schools have reached a milestone: two decades of operation, and in 2026 the city has, for the first time, extended the programme to include a kindergarten track aimed at about 40 preschoolers practising Dutch before the new school year.
What exactly happened in Sint-Niklaas this summer?
In the 2026 edition of Sint-Niklaas summer



Leave a Reply